A bustling city scene, the Tokyo Tower, and the Tokyo Skytree are just some of the familiar images of Japan. But there is much more to the country outside its fascinating urban hubs and famous city attractions. If you love nature and the outdoors, you will find an overabundance of places and activities to explore. From the stunning Fuji-san to the beautiful experience of cherry blossom viewing while enjoying delicious foods and treats like matcha snacks, Japan unfailingly provides plenty of delightful reasons to have an unforgettable visit.
1. If you are in Japan anytime between the months of July to the middle of September, consider taking a hike to the summit of the country’s iconic mountain – Mount Fuji. From there, you can catch a breathtaking view of the sunrise which will make the climb totally worth it.
2. Take a trip up north and discover the natural bounties of Hokkaido. Visit Farm Tomita in Furano-cho during summer (July-August) to see its beautiful lavender fields. Be mesmerized by the night view from the peak of Mt. Hakodate. Enjoy a cup of coffee at the Unkai Terrace and marvel at the spectacular view of the sea of clouds. And in winter, explore the many ski resorts and activities the island is known for.
3. Take a hike at the pilgrimage routes of Kumano Kodo. Follow the footsteps of ancient and modern pilgrims who have made the trek as early as the 11th century. Let your feet take you to places that include verdant forests and picturesque villages among others.
4. Enjoy the scenery, the climate, the beaches, and dive sites of Okinawa.
5. Rent a bike and explore the neighborhoods, streets, and alleys of Tokyo. Or go on a bicycle tour of the Shimanami Kaido route that will take through some of the most scenic spots that boast of breathtaking fields, ancient temples and shrines, and a wide array of other magnificent sights.